Lots of little ones are joining KCS this week. And this year they’re littler than ever.
As of this September, KCS now has pre-, junior and senior kindergarten, in addition to grades 1 to 8. The excitement among faculty is palpable, and the desire to do our best for these youngest of students as strong as ever. Like we do for every student, we’ll follow their journey through to graduation from KCS with heartfelt interest. Here’s some of what they will come across:
- Deeply caring and driven teachers who are constantly improving what they do to best meet their students’ needs.
- A school experience committed to giving students the academic foundation and Habits they need to be successful in school and throughout life. Their learning will be enriched, at times accelerated, and differentiated to meet the strengths and needs of all.
- A house system, led by senior students, that brings community, spirit-raising and friendly competition to the school day.
- An immersion in student leadership that makes clear everyone can be a leader, and that leadership can unfold in infinite ways.
- When in grade 1, they will have a grade 8 buddy who will organize get-togethers, high five them in the hall and be an example of the fine young men and women they will also become.
- An extra-curricular schedule with around 35 club and team opportunities available to the students each term.
- A regular message that they can make the world better, through acts big and small, through our Wall of Service and service learning projects.
Some will start shy and become contest-winning public speakers. Some will become passionate artists. Some will discover a penchant for politics, and will debate provincial legislation at the Ontario Legislature in grade 8. Some will bring home championship banners in sports. Some will become published authors in our YAKCS program. Some will discover special talents in math contests and robotics. Some will perform in an orchestra at Roy Thomson Hall. Many will become leaders with experience and skill beyond their young years.
It’s amazing to watch little ones grow. Immersed in the same opportunities, the unique core in every child will blossom in whatever way it chooses to.
That’s why we watch with so much interest. And why we’re so excited to be part of the journey.
Assistant Head, Academics
You can follow Andrea on Twitter @afanjoy.